Historic Nacoochee Institute
This private boarding school was founded by the Presbytery of Athens in 1903. Its campus occupied a large area incorporating the present day SNC campus along with other acreage.
Girls in uniform, as seen in the school assembly photo at the top of this page, were often boarding students.
The standing figure visible at the back of the room in the school assembly picture is Rev. Dr. John Knox Coit, long time President of the Institute. See additional historic photos.
The Institute enjoyed a national reputation and received support from Presbyterian churches in Georgia and beyond.
By 1925 it had grown considerably to include 301 acres of land, three school buildings, four dormitories, eight cottage homes, and sixteen farm or service buildings. It then supported six grammar grades, three junior high school grades, and departments of home economics, music, and commercial studies.
A school census of that time showed a total of 14 teachers and 262 pupils.
A devastating fire destroyed the Institute's main buildings in 1926. By 1927 the school had merged with, and relocated to, the Rabun Gap School in neighboring Rabun County.
This consolidation was a success and the resulting private school still thrives today as the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School.
White County built the Nacoochee School, a Primary, and a High School, on the Institute's site in 1928. By the 1970's the county was no longer using these buildings and the SNCA was established there.